Monday 1 December 2014

In Residence in the Bone Lab

Contents of a drawer in the Bone Lab
It's now official, I am Artist in Residence in the Animal Bone Laboratory in the School of Archaeology and Ancient History at the University of Leicester!

The project considers archaeological animal bones as relics, as objects whose perceived value change over time. I'm calling the project the "Reliquary Project".

I spend my time looking through bones in the collections in the bone lab and making work in my workshop. I've been learning from Dr Richard Thomas who is the zooarchaeology expert, as well as having fascinating conversations with the other researchers who pop into the lab.

The project will unfold over the next year and will include a blog to follow its progress here, workshops with schools and colleges and an exhibition.

It's taken a lot of work to get this project up and running, and I just want to thank Richard, Debbie, Clare and all the staff at the University who have made me feel welcome and supported (and I really love having a card for the University library!).

The project is supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.





No comments:

Post a Comment